Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Magic books?


OK. I need a little feedback here. My son is doing the accelerated reader program at school for part of the day and our local library has put all the a/r books together on the shelf for your convenience. Yesterday, my son found a very thick book called Magyk by Angie Sage. I've read some reviews on amazon about it and most people just think it's a poorer quality Harry Potter. I've not read anything yet about anything inappropriate in regard to sex or violence. But as a Christian, I worry about reading books about sorcery.

YET, I'm now reading The Fellowship of the Ring and I freely let my children read C.S. Lewis books and fairy tales.

So what's the difference? Does it matter? What do you do? Is it worth censoring in this area or will that just provoke more interest on his part? I think he chose it because it was thick (and worth 7 a/r points) and had an interesting cover.

4 comments:

Wow...never heard of that. Looks questionable doesn't it. Hope you find out what you are looking for.

September 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

Well... I wouldn't be too worried about it. Honestly if you are ok with LOTR and Cinderella then you are ok with fairy tale magic.

At least I am.

I also refuse to judge a book until I've read it.

I think kid's have a wonderful grasp of pretend. They know it is a fairy tale. Think of all the magic in Peter Pan which is a classic.

Read it and if it is ok with you then don't worry about it! You can talk with him about it and make sure he understands the difference between fantasy and reality.

September 9, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

At our house te rule on fantasy is books is as follows: Witchcraft is going probably going to be found. How the author handles the witchcraft is what makes a difference. Narnia and LOTR defeat the *evil* magic. Harry Potter celebrates it. That is how we choose. We look at whether the book can be used to honor God or if it more likely to push people away from Him.

September 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

Following on from kelli, who I agree with, while I'll happily admit I haven't read Harry Potter (any of them) I think I know enough about it to comment.

I wouldn't say I would never read or let my kids read HP or any such book but I do detect a difference in them and say Narnia or LOTR.

HP is about a boy who studies witchcraft and does it. Narnia however is about a parallel world and it is only there were the children do anything remotely magic, and even then they only do it using their "gifts", likewise LOTR is a completely different world.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that fantasy is fantasy but where fantasy and reality cross over in the actual stories that is what is problematic for me.

Paul

September 11, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home