Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I was reading the news this morning and have been following the story of the Austrian man who imprisoned his daughter and committed unspeakable crimes against her and her children. An article over at Fox news suggests that perhaps this man has some kind of mental disorder so he will plead insanity and be placed in a mental institution instead of prison.

Does this seem right? I know this isn't the first time, or the last, that this will happen. But when you have a high view of the Doctrines of Grace and a clear understanding of the utter depravity of the human heart, then anything like this is possible for any person, BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD. The wickedness of what this man has done is the seed of sin that is in every human heart from the time of Adam.

The DSM-IV doesn't have a category for sin because, apparently, there is no such thing. Everything wrong with a person's mental state can be attributed to chemicals in the brain so no one is responsible for any of his or her actions because the person "can't help themselves".

The lawyer quoted in this article asserts that he cannot imagine anyone doing such a thing unless he had some mental problem. The problem, however, is that this man's problem goes much deeper than his mental condition: it goes to the heart and his need for the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit to cleanse and change this man. And I pray that somehow that will happen.

5 comments:

To which I can only say 'Amen'. I can't imagine the horror those children experienced during those years.

Great to meet you..I'm a pastor's wife, too! :)

May 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

I know it. I sure hope justice is served.

Nice to meet you, too!

May 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I do hope that justice is served! I just read about this tragedy and I am overwhelmed with sadness for those children.

May 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

Nice to meet you - love your blog!
I agree with you on this one. When I was at uni and studying the DSM-IV, the lecturers would get all tied up over the definition of "normal" and "abnormal". Unfortunately some of them defined "abnormal" as "outside social norms" - which lets in criminal activity in addition to mental illness. It's a major problem when we lose the concept of "bad" and replace it with "ill" - people become victims who need treatment, rather than people who need punishment. Hopefully the jury in Austria will make the right decision! :)

May 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM  

I'm anxious to see what happens with this one. It's so totally bizarre...

June 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home