Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


I've been lurking around Shannon's wildly popular blog, Rocks in My Dryer, for a while now. I thought it was time for me to hop on the WFMW bandwagon with a tip for how to save on diapers.

I am not your average grain-grinding, chicken-raising, raw honey-eating, long praire dress-wearing home schooling mom:

I use disposable diapers.

Here's what I do.

I buy the Walmart brand Parent's Choice (that's the yellow package) when my kids are little, especially when they are brand new because you're already changing a bazillion blow outs all day anyway no matter if they're in Huggies custom fit baby powder scented diapers or cheapies.

Now, as my kids get older things get more, uh, overfilled in that particular area. The deposits get bigger and smellier. I've found that the cheapies DO work fine for during the day, but at night I do splurge a bit and buy the better diapers, usually Luvs. The more expensive brands ARE better. If you use cheapies overnight, then you're changing sheets (and I already do that enough with two older brothers in the family!).

So there's my tip:
cheap diapers by day, expensive ones by night

You DO save money. Honest! I've done it with all three of my kids.

9 comments:

We follow the same rules here! DH gets his hand smacked if trys to put a bedtime diaper on!

May 14, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

That worked great for my daughter until she was about two. I eventually had to resort to huggies overnights during the day her cause she'd pee through everything else.

For my son generics have never worked, We do overnights at night and reg huggies during the day, but now I'm having another daughter and hope to go back to generics again.

May 14, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

That's a great way to save. Have you considered cloth? I spent a total of $400 for supplies, have used them for two children now (so that's $200 a kid), and do not have any problem with blow outs. Plus, cloth diapers have come a long way and are quite easy now.

May 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM  

I've used that same system for 4 kids and it still works! Now I do sometimes just use luvs all day, but not always! :)

May 14, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

what a great idea!

May 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

I am a disposible diaper mom too. And I too buy the cheapest diapers I can find. Costco brand work fine for everthing for us. I think Walmart are even cheaper, but I rarely go to Wally world. I could never understand the Designer Diaper thing...don't parents realize what is going to happen to that cute diaper with the darling characters on the wasteband?? Designer or cheap...they all end up the same way.

May 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

"I am not your average grain-grinding, chicken-raising, raw honey-eating, long praire dress-wearing home schooling mom:"

Wow as I was reading that I was kind of expecting it to end with "baccy chewing", but maybe that wouldn't fit?

Paul

May 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

Y'all do it, too, and here I thought I was so original :).

May 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM  

Paul, you are hilarious! Maybe it didn't make the list because she couldn't deny that she was "baccy-chewing" in good conscience! Hmmmm.....

TN

May 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home