Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

A Lived In House


We have a family we know who is facing the imminent death of their newborn. It is their first child, a son. His parents are spending his final days holding him in the ICU. His mother's empty arms will return to a nursery made ready to receive him.

So I'm working around my house, thoughts and prayers always on my mind and often whispered for this dear family as I wash dishes and fold clothes. And I'm noticing all the toys, dirty socks, Nintendo Wii controllers, pillows, blankets, empty sippy cups, bowls of Cheerios, apple cores, chairs pulled up to the counter so little arms can reach goodies...A sense of frustration wells up within me as I fall into the same old patterns of

"All they ever do is make a mess!"
"I'm just the maid around here!"
"Doesn't anyone but ME see that stuff needs to be done around here?"
"What if a church member comes over and sees all this junk!"


When the Holy Spirit gently whispers in my ear: "You want a house that looks like no one lives there. Do you know what that would look like?"

It would look like the home of this suffering family whose only precious little boy is about to leave to be with Jesus. I'm sure their floor isn't strewn with toys, but I'm betting anything they wish it was...

8 comments:

ouch... i heard that voice too... it's pretty convicting, isn't it? yup, I hear you.

October 6, 2007 at 11:14 PM  

Ouch! I needed to hear that.

October 6, 2007 at 11:33 PM  

Do you know I remember these truths at night when my sweet angels are sleeping, yet when morning dawns the the arguing begins, I forget?

Lord, as I sleep, remind me of your goodness, faithfulness, and love. Help me to communicate with grace to my little ones.

October 7, 2007 at 12:18 AM  

Whenever I get frustrated that the kids are running around, causing disruption, creating havoc and mess, yelling louder than i would appreciate, floors strewn with legos and hot wheels, clothes...that still, small voice says to me, "Be thankful they have voices to shout, legs that can run, minds that can create, joy in their hearts!"

October 7, 2007 at 7:52 AM  

I have a friend who lost their first born to an accident the doctor did during turning the baby. They came home empty-handed. For a year the bedroom door to the nursery that was full stocked and ready to go, remained closed. The only thing new was the dust bunnies.

I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain and headache they went through and I'm sure still experience from time to time - 8 or so years later.

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada and I am very thankful that my home is upside down and inside out - filled to the brim with the evidence of 4 wonderful and amazing children.

October 8, 2007 at 9:36 PM  

Nothing overcomes my discontent and resentment like a good dose of gratitude...

October 9, 2007 at 9:39 AM  

Two of my little babies (twins) died in the NICU almost 4 years ago. This post brought tears to my eyes!
~Norah Hopkins (Pete's wife)

October 9, 2007 at 10:08 AM  

I'm so sorry Norah--I can't imagine the pain.

There's still no word on that precious baby. He's got such a rare condition that it could be days, weeks or months. No one knows.

I am so thankful for my precious little ones.

October 9, 2007 at 12:20 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home