Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Don't Tell Martha...

We hosted a family for dinner last night for the first time. We all had a wonderful time, except when I pulled out the two pans of that delicious cannoloni--they were burned on the bottom, completely, to where you'd have to just scoop out the filling and top layer of noodle and cheese and sauce. I discovered this at 6 o'clock, when they were scheduled to arrive. I also made a vegetable risotto, but let the veggies cook too long so they turned this ugly green/brown color. Nice.

So I called the local Italian restaurant in town and asked them how fast I could buy a pan of lasagna (at $50!) they said a half hour, so I JUST DID IT!

We ate bruschetta and I made uncomfortable, nervous small talk because I'd burned and ruined everything.

This family is super nice and didn't really care what we ate, but I did, because there are few things I actually do well and I suppose it was God's way of humbling me...

5 comments:

I'm sorry. I hate it when that happens! In reality, your guests were probably glad that you didn't look like a superhuman pastor's wife. :-) But it stills hurts the good ol' ego, doesn't it? It teaches me to focus on the relationships rather than my talents.

November 6, 2007 at 8:14 AM  

Oh, dang! I hate it when best laid plans go awry...sounds like you recovered, kept perspective and all had a great time. I'll bet the cannoloni will rise again, perfect the next time.

November 6, 2007 at 9:41 AM  

I like the title!!

As I know burnt or not burnt your cooking is great! I am sure even YOUR burnt canneloni would of been great!!

November 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM  

Chalk it up to a learning experience and don't let it deter you from hosting again. It's so rewarding to feed someone, other than your family.

November 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM  

Hmm! Reminds me of the meal I fixed for the college president and his wife. I let the steamed vegetables boil dry and ruined the pan ... I miscalculated the fixing of the calzones and served a very doughy thing.
Remeber, it's about fellowship and relationship... not how well dinner turns out!

November 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home