Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I can't. As a homeschooler, anyway. I am very optimistic every morning that my eldest will listen, obey, be enthusiastic about learning together. I have planned a semester ahead of time, checked out the necessary books from the library...

But each day it's the same story and I feel at a loss. I have literally read every child rearing book out there. I happen to have a kid who doesn't appear to respond to spanking, loss of privileges, isolation, or tomato staking. He can be as good as gold, then completely ridiculous, disrespectful and downright annoying to the rest of his family. I know I have written about slandering my children, but truly I feel so hopeless in what else to do. I have been much better about keeping my voice controlled and my anger in check. Yet, the struggles remain.

I keep waiting for it to get better. Waiting...

3 comments:

I don't have any profound fire-proof discipline methods. Your child is normal. Expect it. And pray!! And be consistent. I think there minds (like ours) our so bent to manipulating that they can tell when you're cracking under pressure and about to give in to them so the push and push and push and we crumble. So PRAY and be CONSISTENT. My 2 cents

December 13, 2007 at 5:40 AM  

I definitely have no answers... I have the same sorts of trouble with my oldest (5 years old) son. I don't homeschool (I just really don't think I could handle it... I really do applaud you for tackling a really tough job) anyway, the school is going to be testing my son for something called Sensory Integration Disorder. I have been reading up on it and it does seem to fit him... but it doesn't make my daily life any easier... So I feel your pain.
Some kids really are harder to discipline.

Just wanted to say I understand.

December 13, 2007 at 12:17 PM  

I stumbled across your blog and am so thankful. I have been considering homeschooling and have never gotten the "other" point of view.

When I solicit the Homeschool families I know for input on what it is really like all I get is, "It's precious" or "Such a blessing" or "My kids love it and we are done by 11:30am".

I have to say there is a part of me that doesn't trust someone who can't be the least bit equivocal about it. I need to know both sides. (I have even asked "What is the downside?" and the response I got was "That I didn't start sooner". Seriously? Is this a cult?)

I like the fact that you are honest with your struggles because it is much more, well, honest.

December 15, 2007 at 9:41 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home