Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

We got everything and more done in my planning book today.

The problem is that my dear almost 8 year old has behaviors that are difficult to describe: kind of annoying behaviors, like when I'm talking to him about something I expect him to do or I'm explaining something to him, he'll make weird faces or laugh...rather than sitting on the sofa, he climbs over the back of it and jumps down onto the cushion. Things like this. I honestly don't know what to do about it. It makes me really mad, but my anger doesn't help the situation.

To me, it communicates disrespect. He would never treat his swim coach like this.

My life WOULD be easier on some levels if I sent him to school, but I know in the long run, it wouldn't be good for any of us.

HELP!!!!!

5 comments:

I forget, has your doctor chimed in on any potential attention or behavior issues? Not that he needs to be on medication, but sometimes knowing that you are up against something vs. just him acting out makes it more bearable. And sometimes can help give you some cues to how he can listen best.

August 22, 2007 at 6:02 PM  

He sounds like my son... of course I am not homeschooling so I can't entirely relate. But one thing I heard from my sons AWANA clubs teacher is that some kids listen better when they are allowed to chose their own listening posture... The idea is that you give your son the choice of where he would like to do his work (the couch or the floor) and then he feels like he has more control over the situation and is less annoying to you. Perhaps. Worth a shot anyway. I think you are very brave to homeschool. How did things go with your younger kiddo?

August 22, 2007 at 8:54 PM  

OK - don't think I'm being rude, just speaking from experience. Sounds like a Dad issue. Our son at that age had the mindset that he only had to behave or obey his dad. It took about 6 weeks of daily spankings to convince him that his teacher and his mother COULD in fact tell him what to do. He also may need more exercise during the school day.

August 22, 2007 at 9:29 PM  

Hubby says my comment wasn't clear (I'd better improve on that skill by Monday!) It's a Dad issue because he's the one that needs to enforce the concept that you're in charge. In our case, Dad is the spanker.

August 23, 2007 at 9:37 PM  

I have an almost 8 year old daughter who does similar things. We are teaching listening skills this year (I have a 5 year old, and 21 month old who need to learn this too!) This includes sitting up or standing, folding hands on table or lap, and looking into the person's eyes who is speaking. And a "yes mom" is required after something is asked of them. It's part of our homeschool curriculum this year, and we have a star sticker chart to help drive the point home! Best to you!!
Amy R. : )

August 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home