Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Stupid Movies for Kids

"Oh! You said STUPID!" my kids would say if they read my blog...I almost titled this post Stupid Kids' Movies, but then that would imply that I was discussing movies for kids who were dumb ("MOM! You said DUMB!") Ok, ok, ok get to the point.

Yesterday at the grocery store I picked up a movie without checking it out first online at www.pluggedinonline.com (Focus on the Family's excellent online movie and music review site). It was called The Last Mimzy. I'm thinking it was one of those direct to video releases because it was just so BAD, just from a movie's standpoint. What was worse, however, was the worldview behind it.

Here's the premise of the movie: It's the future and the world's soul is sick. Unless the future people can send a stuffed bunny called a Mimzy back in time to find a good person whose love can save the world, then earth will be ruined forever. Yes, I said a stuffed bunny, with a little swirl on its belly.

Of course, two children find a strange container washed up on the beach and it contains all kinds of cool futuristic stuff that Mom can't see because to her it just looks like ordinary material. The Mimzy is inside.

What unfolds is a movie full of Eastern religion: people are inherently good, they've just made some wrong choices, the universe communicates with us by dreams and visions, the earth is our mother and cares for us, we can have power over the material world around us with our minds...

You've also got a wacky science teacher and his girlfriend living together, trying to get winning lottery numbers from his dreams, meditating before Buddhist statues and candles, men in their underwear, women with low cut shirts, the parents as clueless bystanders, cheating on tests with cell phone text messages, oh, it goes on and on.

The most incredible thing about all of this is another mom in town I saw at the store told me it was a good family movie. This gal is a Christian.

Maybe I should start posting about other stupid movies for kids I've seen. There have been too many to count, but it make for some interesting posts...

4 comments:

Here's another stupid movie - astronaut farmer. So stupid it made me mad but so stupid not mad enough to eat me up.

My book blogging is today-comment on the Kite Runner!

August 25, 2007 at 8:01 AM  

I think The Last Mimzy was in and out of theatre real quick. I am glad that I didn't rush out to see it!

August 26, 2007 at 5:25 AM  

I was warned away from The Last Mimsy for much the same reasons you cited. I am sorry you had to see it.

August 26, 2007 at 11:18 AM  

Yup. This movie stuck. So did Madagascar, which I sold for $5 at my yard sale. I watched Napolean Dynamite last night and I just didn't GET IT. Of course, that's not really a kids' movie, but there must be a certain niche of people that loved it.

September 1, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home