Blogger Template by Blogcrowds




We've been using this kindergarten curriculum for a few weeks now since my son is all about wanting to read.

I've looked at my neighbor's old KONOS books. I've read The Well-Trained Mind. I've read Mary Pride's Complete Guide To Getting Started Homeschooling (an excellent read, comprehensive in scope, for the person investigating homeschooling). I've called Sonlight and talked to them about their curriculum. I've used all Abeka as a beginning homeschooler. I've had moments where I wish there was just ONE way of schooling so that I didn't have to make a decision.

But using My Father's World has become my answer. Sure, it took me from first grade to fourth grade with my oldest of figure it out, but MFW is a combination of unit studies, Charlotte Mason (with the focus on living books), and Classical (teaching Latin or Greek, which we probably won't do, actually, and history taught chronologically). There's a good balance of work and fun. I feel like it takes the best from all the approaches that I like, especially the BOOKS.

Let me describe briefly what we did yesterday in kindergarten for our first lesson on the sun.

Math for kindgarteners is counting to 100, doing a calendar, using Cuisinare rods to form the letter S, counting those rods.

Reading instruction involves teaching the /s/ sound, cutting some stuff, touching the textured S as we discuss words that begin with that sound, reviewing other sounds as we've learned them.

The Activity Guide section of the book has a lot of ideas and something I've learned is that you don't have to do all of them. In fact MFW has a message board that has been absolutely invaluable. Today we're suppose to make raisins from green grapes, but a lot of moms said it took too long and wasn't really worth the effort. I think that's good to know! I've had my share of project busts! What we did, upon suggestion from someone at the board, was lay out 109 pennies side by side on our kitchen floor to represent the fact that it takes 109 earths to cross the diameter of the sun.

The Curriculum recommends a 6 day lesson cycle, with the sixth day a book day, but I've read again on the board that it's better (and simpler!) to just spread those books throughout the week so yesterday we read two scientific, factual books about the sun. Today we have some literature books about the sun on the agenda.

I've found my niche! FINALLY.

7 comments:

Yeah! I love MFW too! I can't wait to do all that fun stuff with Bekah this fall. (And since you're doing it first I can bug you with all my questions!)

June 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM  

OOh. do tell more. I am starting with Sonlight (with Horizon math and Handwriting w/o Tears) Core K for my 6 and 5 year old (bumping some of the activities up a skill level for the six year old...)

But I've never heard of My Father's World. Do you mind if I bug you with some questions too? :D

June 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

I was told by a friend that My Father's World is a lot like Sonlight, only a little more conservative in some of the literature they use, particularly in the older grades. Otherwise, I think it's similar. I'd venture to say if I remember right, MFW might be a little cheaper, too.

I haven't started Exploring Countries and Cultures yet (will in August) with my 4th grader, but Heather (above) just did it last year so you could ask her about that. Supplementing the ECC will be Abeka Math and Language (he started with Abeka at Christian school so we've used it every year for those core subjects) and Spelling Workout (I love that program!) We used a Cursive program I liked (A Reason for Handwriting), too, last year, but now we're past a book for that and will just do more cursive writing when we write.


All I know is that MFW is very straightforward and balanced in my opinion. My sons could never do the strictly "classical" approach. We'd all go nuts!

June 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

I love MFW. We are almost done with K and I just purchased 1st at the convention. This has been my favorite program out of all the ones I have used over the years.
Toni

June 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM  

Thanks for sharing about MFW. I am currently trying to figure out what program I'd like to use with my almost 6 year old daughter. I am leaning toward Ambleside Online Yr 1. I just love Charlotte Mason. I will look into this too. Thanks.

June 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM  

MFW is a combination of three approaches I like, so I think that's why it appeals to me.

And Heather, we can "bug" each other with questions since you've already done ECC!

June 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Isn't great to find a program that fits your family? I was also looking for a Bible based program and could not find one to fit. I had heard many wonderful things about MFW but the prep did not fit in with my work/home schedule. I also wanted to incorporate the Charlotte Mason philosophy. We finally decided on Little Hearts For His Glory from Heart of Dakota.
I hope you keep posting more about what you are doing with MFW!

June 21, 2008 at 7:58 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home