Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

WFMW: Eat More Salads!

OK. I have to admit being pregnant is HARD for me so I don't crave this like I did before I was pregnant with this fourth baby. But living in the boonies has forced me to figure out ways to keep fresh produce tasty and healthy for my family, especially salads.

I have a mixture of healthy greens I prepare ahead of time and keep in a large rubbermaid container in the fridge and I add different stuff to it each day for lunch for variety and healthful eating.

Here's what I do:

1 bag of hearts of romaine lettuce
1 bag baby spinach

Chop the hearts of romaine, rinse it, and spin it in a cheap salad spinner from Walmart. Getting that excess water off the leaves helps it to stay fresher, I'm convinced. Now wash the spinach, too. Sometimes I also peel and shred a bunch of carrots since my kids seem to eat shredded carrots better than chunks of carrot.

Now think of the possibilities!

Asian salad:

boiled, shelled edamame (soybeans)
sliced almonds
drained, canned mandarin oranges
chopped red bell pepper
chow mein noodles
Newman's Own Sesame Salad Dressing

Mexican Salad:
(this is a great side for enchiladas or burritos or whatever that's healthy!)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can yellow or white hominy, drained
1 can corn, drained
chopped tomatoes
crushed tortilla chips
Salsa Ranch dressing

Tuna and White Bean Salad:

1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white tuna, drained and flaked
shredded parmesan cheese
Fat Free Italian Salad dressing (I like Walmart's brand)

Italian Salad:

1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c turkey pepperoni, chopped
Big crunchy croutons
Any kind of Italian salad dressing (I have a great recipe on here for a Creamy Low Fat Italian dressing

Now let your imagination go and create your own!

6 comments:

Love this idea! Thanks for all the recipes. Yum.

June 18, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

Great tips.
I like dried cranberries, pecans, feta cheese, and mandarin oranges with a balsamic vinegar dressing added to my basic greens.

June 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Oh, wow, this is an awesome post! I love all the different variations. We LOVE our salads around here! Thanks!

June 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

I'm glad I read this just before lunch - your post made me hungry! Great ideas!

June 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

I love Newman's Own-but I haven't tried the Sesame one, I'll have to pick some up and try your idea. Thanks!

June 18, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

My salad spinner is my friend. Love it and use it OFTEN.

June 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home