Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Vacation Bible School

We start ours on Sunday. Hubby's the "storyteller" meaning, he will do all the teaching. It's a lot on him, but we know that the gospel will be proclaimed and our volunteers can relax a little and help reinforce the story at the different stations.

While we love the Quest curriculum from Concordia Publishing House and they've been soooo helpful in getting our stuff here on time, when hubby called to ask if there were any "Lutheran distinctives", the customer service representative said, "No." Well, when we started reading through the lessons, the lesson on Jesus' baptism deals with sprinkling and teaches baptismal regeneration (meaning your salvation is tied up in faith AND your baptism). Being in a Baptist church, this isn't quite what we believe so we've had to alter the story a bit. It's not that big of a deal, but we did ASK beforehand and got a different answer. We believe our Lutheran brothers and sisters are Christians, but this has been an example where theology and doctrine DOES mattter.

I'm in charge of publicity so I spent the last two weeks making phone calls and putting up signs around town. Our director says advertising hasn't made much difference in the past, but I hope I can prove her wrong! So pray we have an ovewhelming number of kids and that they would decide to follow Jesus. I will be glad when next week is over, though...

5 comments:

I pray that the advertising does work and that all goes well!

Glad that you all checked out the curriculum to make sure it met your needs before the teachers got started with it!

June 7, 2007 at 2:40 AM  

Hi! I saw your post at preschoolers & peace about your mom making blackout curtains for the children! We have an early riser who absolutely will not sleep with any sunlight (just a dim night light. I put blackout fabric under his regular curtain, but if I want to open the curtain, i have to take the blackout fabric down. Is that what you do...or I am hoping there is an easier solution. :) Thanks!

June 7, 2007 at 2:19 PM  

Hi! Thanks for visiting! What I do is keep a little stuffed animal on the window sill and I use that to just push the shade back. I only have lacy, short curtains on an actual curtain rod. The blackout fabric shade is just on a tension rod. Would that work for you? If you have long curtains, how about one of those hooks that put on the way midway up your window to hold back the curtain??

June 7, 2007 at 3:03 PM  

We had very little advertising this year...I can't believe it doesn't make a difference...thinking I should be in charge of this next year :) Hope ya'll have a ton of kids.

June 7, 2007 at 3:17 PM  

I put myself in charge of publicity this year. I put a sign up on the bank's marquee, an ad in the paper with clip art from the VBS curriculum, flyers and posters in every business (just about) in town. I didn't do door to door flyers, though. I also got the elementary school to distribute flyers before school ended. They agreed to put some in each teacher's mailbox and I think some of the teachers made them available. VBS feels like a lot of work to do not to advertise, in my opinion.

June 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home