Blogger Template by Blogcrowds




In my three years of thinking and praying about how to homeschool our children, I've read lots of books. I've tried all Abeka. I've tried The Well-Trained Mind (I don't have a child who wants to sit and read ALL day.) I've used an eclectic approach from the wonderful timberdoodle company. But now...the latest attempt...

I'm thinking of making some drastic changes to our homeschooling day. Almost every day is a struggle, and I sense boredom in my darling son. I am forcing myself to get out of my own learning style, which is a teacher's dream of sitting quietly and doing workbooks and reading all day. My son is NOT like me in his learning style, and the sooner I can get something different going for us during the day, the better!

So I'm investigating Konos. My wonderful veteran homeschooling mom and pastor's wife neighbor (right next door!) has brought over her three volumes of Konos curriculum and I've been poring over them for a few days now. I'm begining to make some lists of books I need to buy and loan, supplies I need to locate. I will buying these books from her at a significant discount, as they're listed at $99.00 each. There is enough to do in these three books for an entire K-8 education!

Here's the gist of it from their website www.konos.com:

How is KONOS different from other curricula?

KONOS is distinct from other curricula in that it features:

· Godly character trait focus

· Units with all subjects integrated

· Hands-on, experiential activities

· Discovery learning

· Multi-level, family teaching

KONOS used the entire library as a textbook and the whole world as its curriculum.

The two ladies who wrote it had all boys. They believe that God put the wiggles in children! So while my morning will be spent with reading, writing, math, and spelling, my afternoon will be projects, activities, discussions, games...

My son has never said, "Is that all the school we have to do? I want more!" My new goal as a homeschooling mom is to make him say that to me! We are going to have so much fun, he's not going to know what to do! I. AM. DETERMINED. PRAY!!!!!

4 comments:

hope you'll keep us posted on how this is going. i'm currently reading the well trained mind in my search for what to do!

October 15, 2007 at 6:16 PM  

I think that book has lots of good ideas, and in theory, I would LOVE to give my child a classical education. I know a family in town who has done it, but they had a girl and a boy who was rather sickly and not terribly busy--not like MY boy whose a crazy man. We tried memorizing poems, copywork and dictation, all the stuff you do during the grammar stage, but he hated every minute of it. English for the Thoughtful Child, which the first edition of Well Trained recommends, was HORRIBLE for us. I also felt an undue amount of pressure: I have to teach Latin in third grade? I don't even KNOW LATIN. Igpay atlinay, aybemay...So it wasn't for us, wasn't suited to our personalities. So just keep reading, reading...I'd suggest Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started Homeschooling. It has entire chapters that explain all the different methods: classical, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, unschooling, etc. I also liked Lisa Whelchel, of the Facts of Life fame, and her book So You're Thinking About Homeschooling.

I'll keep you posted!

October 15, 2007 at 8:03 PM  

thanks for sharing. i'll definitely have to check out those other resources.

October 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM  

Julie,

This entry blessed my heart in so many ways. I am certain you will love this approach and that your children will, too. I continue to pray that you will fall in love with homeschooling...I think this just might do it!

October 28, 2007 at 8:11 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home