Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Homeschool Schedules

My good buddy and I have been discussing this lately, and then I was reading over at Sprittibee (http://sbees.blogspot.com) about it, too, so I thought I'd share a bit about what we do.

My philosophy on scheduling is not so much to do stuff at the same TIME every day, but to do them in the same order with the same amount of time between each thing. Huh?

We might get up at 7 or 8 or 8:30. I might get full cooperation with showers and chores and breakfast. Or I might not. But regardless when we start, here's the way we do things:

Family Bible Time at Breakfast with Dad
Handwriting
Spelling Workout
Language
20 min. break to play
Reading
History
Lunch
Math with dad
Free time until dinner
Dinner
Baths for the little ones
Quick pick up
Free Reading time in bed
Lights out!

Sure, we throw the occasional playdate or trip to the library in there, but when you have a baby who takes a morning nap and and afternoon nap, it can cramp your style when it comes to stuff like that (which I don't mind-I'm a homebody anyway!).

I'm not tied to the clock so that I STRESS out, but the kids have a general idea of what is when and why. Sometimes we'll be on a roll, and I'm telling my 8 year old, "Let's just get the last two subjects done, then you can play the rest of the day." But often it's, "NOPE. I get a break after three subjects."

I use this same basic idea with my babies, too. My babies never got up at the exact same time each day, but they always got a morning nap about two hours after they got up, then they had lunch, then another two hour or so afternoon nap. If I had to push bedtime back a bit because the day ran a little late, so be it. It gave me both flexibility and structure. Usually, my kiddos fell into a nice pattern by about a year, so that now my sweet girl naps at about 10 and 2, then bedtime is between 7 and 8.

So would this post be considered a WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY post??

1 comments:

Julie,
when my kids were little my home functioned in much the same way... we had a routine that we stuck to but not at a scheduled time. It was a lot less stress for me which was so much better for my children!

January 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home