Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Chicken Broccoli Braid

Looks like I'm back in the saddle again. I was feeling overwhelmed from returning from vacation and couldn't think of anything to write...so here's a recipe that hubby said was "outstanding" and a keeper. We were brainstorming all the different things you could put in it, too: a cheeseburger braid (cooked ground beef, cheese, mayo, ketchup, cooked bacon, montreal steak seasoning) or a pizza braid (pepperoni, cheese, sauce, oregano) or a mexican braid (black beans, cheese, salsa, maybe some meat of some kind, cilantro) whatever! Here's the one I made tonight:

3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 cup cooked broccoli, cooled and chopped
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tubes crescent rolls

Heat oven to 350. Gently combine everything except the crescent rolls. Set aside. On a large cookie sheet press the crescent rolls into a large rectangle. Put filling down the middle about 6 inches wide. With a knife, cut slits on the long sides of the crescent roll dough almost into the filling. Now fold the first strip of dough over the filling on the left, then do the right side, and so on until you've covered the filling with a nice braid and covered it with dough. Seal up the ends as best you can.

Bake for 20 minutes or so until golden brown.

Let me know if you try this or if you have another filling idea!

4 comments:

I've made something similar with mushrooms and bacon... and whatever else you like to mix in (I like onion and cheese).

July 17, 2007 at 11:33 AM  

Julie,

I have been in a cooking slump since I got home from California. You just provided tonight's inspration...I will let you know how it turns out!

Have a blessed day!!!

July 18, 2007 at 5:27 AM  

Ok, recipe report here.

We were tired of chicken the day I made this so I did a Mexican version with hamburger, taco seasoning, cheese, green onions, red and green peppers, and black olives. It was wonderful. I topped it with guacamole and sour cream.

Another idea I had was to fill the braid with scrambled eggs and cooked, crumbled sausage for a breakfast treat.

Julie, thanks again for sharing this recipe.

July 22, 2007 at 2:50 PM  

Sounds delicious! Thank you, thank you for your latest podcast, by the way!

July 22, 2007 at 3:07 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home