Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Hubby preached a wonderful message today about money, from the Sermon on the Mount. He made an astute observation about our culture.

Billions of dollars are spent each year to make you feel unhappy. Advertisers parade beautiful people before us to make us feel fat, ugly, and out of style. If we would just go buy that cream/bodywash/mascara/hot dog then we would be fulfilled and popular. Flipping through a magazine, you find your dream kitchen and now the kitchen you have just seems dated and cramped. You see the latest model traipse across the TV and suddenly you notice how old you've become.

Pastor Hubby's point was that it can be so difficult to keep your focus on Jesus in our country. It's like telling a kid who goes into a toy store not to look at the toys. We must keep stored up for ourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust don't destroy. We must be like Moses who considered the reproach of Christ to be worth more than the riches of Egypt in Hebrews 11.

Such excellent thoughts (I have a wise, wonderful husband.) and important to keep in mind as I navigate the world around me.

5 comments:

Sounds like a great sermon! How difficult it is to keep those things in mind as we try to live in the world. I think Hubby's a keeper:)

July 22, 2007 at 4:38 PM  

Good thoughts!

And I'm enjoying the different background color every time I visit. ;-)

July 22, 2007 at 5:15 PM  

Sounds like a great sermon! I often call all those things "Covetlogues" because of that exact purpose: I didn't even know I wanted anything until I read them...

July 22, 2007 at 7:53 PM  

what a great sermon!

July 23, 2007 at 6:11 AM  

Wow, so true! It's like the devil goes around sticking out his tongue, saying, "Nah-nee nah-nee, boo boo..." and tries to aggravate us with things we can't seem to have. Lord, help us to stay focused on You, because You are the One who truly makes us rich.

July 25, 2007 at 2:12 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home