Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I've been reading about more and more moms who have decided that blogging is taking up too much of their time and they want to focus more on family stuff. I totally admire and respect these ladies for making the choice that's right for their family at that particular season of their lives.

But I can't do it. Blogging has become for me an outlet. As a pastor's wife, there are few people I can confide in or just call up and chew the fat. I feel like blogging serves an essential purpose in my life: to vent, to be creative, to be myself. I don't want my identity so wrapped up in my role as wife, mother, and pastor's wife that I forget who I am. I'm still ME. I still love to read, to learn, to write, to create. For me to enjoy my children more, I need some time to just reflect and think about things OTHER than them sometimes. (I realize a LOT of my posts do deal with these hats I wear.)

I will make time for blogging, gardening, reading. I want to have interests that will continue for my entire life so that when my children are gone and grown, I won't be wringing my hands wondering, "What do I do NOW?" I am a firm believer in raising your own children. I homeschool by default and don't think that EVERY SINGLE Christian family has a biblical mandate to homeschool. I'm not about trying to turn my children into "little mes".

I don't want to fall into the trap, that many homeschooling families fall into, and begin to make my famiy my god. As with everything I think there is a healthy balance between spiritual things, family, housework, and hobbies. All things in moderation.

9 comments:

Right on Julie!

July 21, 2007 at 11:49 AM  

Amen sister! I'm with you 100% And by the way - I love reading your blog.

July 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM  

I think you are exactly right. We become too single-minded if we center our entire lives around one thing. One blog that I read says she spends 6-7 hours daily blogging (!) That seems a bit excessive to me, but having this as a small part of the many things I do each day seems like a good way to become a more rounded person! Keep up the good blogging:)

July 21, 2007 at 5:07 PM  

I agree too! Your friends will know more about you and who you are, outside of mommy and PW. And, sometime, it will be a great thing to have all of your thoughts of when you were younger to reflect on.

July 21, 2007 at 7:58 PM  

It's tuff to balance it all!
I agree, however, blogging is my outlet!

July 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM  

YES! As a fellow-PW I fully stand by your stand for blogging. I began about a year ago because, as a pw, a found little outlet to say what was on my mind, honestly. It's hard to have friends, deep friendships, because so much cannot be revealed. Blogging has been my therapy. Sometimes I have to edit out much of what I write -- can be a little too therapeutic -- but even the writing and storing in my edit file has helped.

July 22, 2007 at 6:50 AM  

I started blogging so that I COULD have an outlet, and that my venting or lessons learned or whatever might be useful to someone else, too. I have to be careful to find a balance, and to NOT feel quilty when I can't blog. But I have found a lot of love and support in the Blogosphere from folks I never would have "met" otherwise, and I find that blogging helps me grow in the Lord. I will keep working to find and keep the balance because it is a valuable part of my life now.

July 25, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

Blogging has been important to me, too. . . Though, I find myself less at the computer now than at other times in life. It's cyclical. And I'm thankful that the Lord has brought people into my life that otherwise wouldn't be, due to blogging.

I might be more quiet than usual from time to time. . . but I can't imagine letting go of blogging completely.

July 25, 2007 at 9:08 PM  

Wise words, girlfriend. I too am determined to raise my kids, but not build my life around them. I am so glad you blog and that our blog paths have crossed!

LOVE the new look!

July 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home