Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Our County Fair

This year, I'm trying my hand at competing at an old fashioned county fair in the horticulture and baked goods categories. Since my only experience with county fairs comes from books like Charlotte's Web, I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and fair food (but no Templeton, thank you)!

Here's what I'm making:

peanut butter cookies
gooey butter cookies
fudgy butterscotch bars
pumpkin cream cheese muffins
cherry almond granola
cookie dough truffles

I'm hoping for just one award, a small recognition for all the cooking I do around here.

I'm also submitting some yellow wax beans and tomatoes. I was hoping for more green beans and zucchini to enter, but alas, they aren't producing like I'd hoped they would right before fair.

I told hubby if I do win something, then next year will be insane with layered cakes, cheesecakes, preserves, candies, flowers...it could get pretty crazy come fair time '08...

4 comments:

Ok, in light of your aspirations for next year... maybe it would be good to not really "win". :-) But do enjoy the fair.

I don't know what yours are like, but I remember hot dogs and coke, cotton candy, really good ice cream and always hot, hot, hot weather. That was more the State Fair, but the county fairs were smaller scale, hot, dusty, food, and always fun.

August 1, 2007 at 12:05 PM  

My mouth is watering! Sounds wonderful - can't wait to hear how you did. Have fun and enjoy the festivities:)

August 1, 2007 at 4:38 PM  

Good luck!
I only wish I was one of the judges there who got to try your yummy baked goods!!

Lately, I've been thinking I'd like to enter something of mine at our county fair too!!

ps
I like the new look of your blog!

August 1, 2007 at 10:40 PM  

I've never been to a county fair either, outside of Charlotte's Web and Babe! Have fun--your goodies sound like prize winners to me!

August 4, 2007 at 7:36 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home