Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Mormonism

As I've mentioned, we had the LDS missionaries show up today. I must say that every single LDS person I have encounted in my time in the Western US has been gracious and kind to me, even when we disagree. I hadn't talked to one in a while so I got on line and surfed about, mostly looking at actual stuff from the top (namely, what the LDS church puts out).

I was wondering what kinds of songs they sing, and I found their hymnal online. I will admit I was disturbed to see songs like "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" in their collection of songs, alongside hymns like this one, called Praise to the Man (and they're not talking about Jesus here):

Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
Jesus annointed that Prophet and Seer.
Blessed to open the last dispensation,
Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

Chorus
Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.

Praise to his mem'ry, he died as a martyr;
Honored and blest be his ever great name!
Long shall his blood, which was shed by assasins,
Plead unto heav'n while the earth lauds his fame.

Chorus

Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
Faithful and true he will enter his kingdom,
Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

Chorus

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
Millions shall know "Brother Joseph" again.

"Great is his glory" "ever and ever the keys he will hold" "his kingdom" WHAT?? These are statements about a mortal man! Christians sing things like this about Jesus, our risen Savior and Lord. Mind boggling...that they call themselves Christians.

Which makes me wonder, should evangelicals vote for Mitt Romney for president? When he claims to be a Christian just like you and me? While I love the Mormons I know and grieve over the falsehood of the Mormon church around me, I absolutely cannot endorse someone who outright perverts the gospel of Christ. I almost think it would be better to deny it all together. *sigh* It honestly makes me not want to vote next year.

7 comments:

That is unbelievable! I had no idea that they had hymns like that! It's gotta be utter deception that they can sing that song. I bet they don't even think about what they are saying. We must pray for them.

My husband took a trip to Utah last year and went to the Temple. He got in on a tour but they wouldn't take him to certain areas. He began asking lots of questions and they got annoyed. Finally, they called 'Brother John' to come and take him from the tour group to answer his questions, but Bro John was annoyed and asked him to leave. : )

My husband said that they are very mysterious about what they do there.

July 14, 2007 at 2:27 AM  

the slickest marketing campaign by any church ever is the mormon church making itself sound like just another christian denomination.

while i don't agree with most catholic theology, i do think that there might be christians within their ranks who truly understand that salvation is by grace through faith, within the LDS church, even though they use similar language, they're using a different dictionary. The theology of the LDS church is Satanic. The people are well-being, but their eyes are blinded to the truth of who Jesus is.

We don't worship any of our apostles! Can you imagine singing a song to Peter or John or James? They would be disgusted.

A lot of what they do in the temple is secretive, but they call it "sacred". I've read about temple marriages (they change the ceremony every so often because people rat them out). It's bizarre. Mormon undergarments they have to wear under their clothes at all times (I've seen a hem of them, they're as long as biker shorts).

Everything we do in our evangelical church is public. Prayer, preaching, baptism, there aren't any secret handshakes! We invite people to come and question and seek God that He may be found. ASK AWAY! I would love for people to come and bug my husband about theological issues. Anyway, maybe I should have made this a post...oh well.

July 14, 2007 at 8:49 AM  

sorry for all the type-ohs in that last comment...it's still early.

July 14, 2007 at 8:51 AM  

It is all very scary, isn't it. They talk a good talk, but the reality is totally non-Christian. Even scarier, is how many Christians buy into their talk, defending them as fellow Christians. Yikes!

July 14, 2007 at 11:48 AM  

Knowing who to give the vote is a dilemma, I agree! I'm not looking forward to it either!
I am thankful God is in control, even though it's hard to always see and understand.

July 14, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

I cannot believe the words in this hymn...frightening!

July 14, 2007 at 5:20 PM  

"Mingling with gods?"

July 16, 2007 at 11:48 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home