Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

L.M Montgomery



I've been saving this author because she's probably my favorite of all time. I think I've grown to love her more with time because she was a minister's wife, and kind of a reluctant one at that. I resonate with her.

She wrote the famous book for young women called Anne of Green Gables, about a red headed orphan named Anne Shirley who goes to live with an aging brother and sister at their family farm on Prince Edward Island. Withtout spoiling too much of the story, let's just say she has a vivid imagination and her temper is as hot as her hair color! Montgomery wrote an entire series about her: Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne of Windy Poplars, Anne's House of Dreams, Anne of Ingleside, Rainbow Valley, and Rilla of Ingleside. These books were written for teenage girls in the first part of the twentieth century, but they still captivate readers today. The themes of acceptance, discovering your place in the world, navigating romance, education, and the role of women are just as important today as during Anne's time.

Kevin Sullivan has also produced some amazing movies based on the first three books: Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea (which is a combination of books 2 & 3). He has also made a movie called Anne-The Continuing Story but it is completely unlike the books and, I think, misrepresents who Anne is. It's entertaining in its own right, but it's NOT the Anne Shirley that Montgomery created.

Although Montgomery is best known for her character of Anne Shirley, she has also written a number of entertaining stories. Her personal favorite (and a favorite of mine) is The Story Girl, a story about Sara Stanley who spins the most marvelous tales and spends the summer with distant relatives on Prince Edward Island.

She wrote many short stories for magazines, too, that have been collected into books such as After Many Days, Against the Odds, By the Sea and Akin to Anne. Additionally, she carried on with tales of the fictional Avonlea, which was based on her hometown of Cavendish, with Further Chronicles of Avonlea and with Anne Shirley's family in The Road to Yesterday, which I just started.

I am a HUGE L.M. Montgomery fan. I am so looking forward to reading them with my sweet baby girl someday!

5 comments:

My daughter and I love Anne. When the PBS series first came out on video, my daughter had just gotten her first paycheck for teaching piano lessons and it was the first purchase she made. We watched them so many time that we both had most of the lines memorized. My favorite thing to do to annoy her was to quote Gilbert's lines right before he said them! We always had them playing in the background while we sewed, too.

Six summers ago as we were preparing for her wedding, we watched them while we did all the handwork on her wedding gown....fun memories.

July 30, 2007 at 9:28 AM  

I, too, love these books :-)

July 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM  

Let me just say that you're right on the mark about that third Anne movie. It's interesting, but it's NOT Anne. One spring I reluctantly agreed to watch the movies with my wife (or maybe she was just watching them anyway and I started to pay attention)...the point is, before I knew it I was drawn in and hooked.

July 31, 2007 at 8:43 AM  

I have the whole set and the videos- although I noticed yesterday that the video is going wonky and making odd noises :( I love her other books, but as yet have no girl to share them with. But then, my husband loved them as a boy so maybe my son will too!

August 2, 2007 at 7:34 AM  

Me too! I dearly love Anne, and recently reread her story. I did not know the background on L.M. Montgomery--thanks for sharing!

August 4, 2007 at 7:39 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home