Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

If you haven't tried these yummy frozen soybeans yet as a snack or in your favorite salad, you are missing out! Now just get yourself past the fact that they are SOYbeans. Put it out of your mind that tofu and all kinds of other strange substances are made from soybeans. Edamame are in pods. You boil them for 2-3 minutes, drain them, then let your kids help you to pop the beans out of their pods. Add the beans to your salad, pasta salad, or eat them plain (I don't eat the pods, but I think you could if you wanted.). They have a slightly salty taste (you can salt the water if you want, but I don't). And while they look a little like lima beans (of which I am not a fan), they don't taste like them. Or peas for that matter (which I also don't like). You can find edamame in your frozen vegetable section. Even my po-dunk Walmart has them.

So here's a quick, healthy salad using your new-found edamame!

Prepare 1 bag of the edamame, popping them out of the pods
shred a bunch of peeled carrots
Wash and chop two hearts of romaine lettuce

Combine these, add some of Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Dressing (or any other Asian inspired dressing of choice). Top with (just a little bit, now) chow mein noodles.

2 comments:

Okay, so I've been lookin' at those things in my produce aisle just wondering what I'm supposed to do with them. I was also put off by their resemblance to both peas and lima beans (I too REALLY don't like either).
Hmmm, okay, I'll give them a try...if I can buy Miso Sauce (which I did last grocery trip) I can try edamame.
BTW-who came up with these names?

February 21, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

OK, we've tried these, and were not impressed...no doubt I don't have your skill in making good tasting things that are good for you. I am very impressed with your cooking talents!

February 23, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home