Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


I've been reading Elaine's blog (http://homebutnotalone.wordpress.com) for a while now, and she is one cool gal. She's hosting a breakfast recipe round-up so here's my contribution! Definitely, NOT a healthy breakfast...

Caramel Nut French Toast

1 c butter
2 c packed brown sugar
4 T corn syrup
3/4 c pecans, chopped
4 1/2 baguettes, sliced to 3/4" thickness
12 eggs
3 c half and half
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until melted. Add nuts.

Slice baguettes. Put syrup mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan. Layer bread over the syrup.

Combine eggs, half and half, vanilla, and salt. Pour over sliced bread. Cover with foil and let set in fridge overnight.

The next morning, heat the oven to 375.

Keeping the pan covered in foil, bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and cooked through. Serve pieces "upside down" on plates!

7 comments:

Hi Juloyes - thanks for joining in!

Such is life in the UK that I had to google corn syrup and also half and half but I think I have it sussed!

Can you let me know how many this would feed as with the 12 eggs I thought it could be quite a few.

Thanks,

February 16, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

Elaine-does "sussed" mean figured out? I'm thinking corn syrup is a distinctly American invention. We sweeten EVERYTHING with it to the point that it's pretty disgusting if you think about it. You could probably use either whole fat milk or heavy cream in the recipe with fine results.

That pan would feed at least 8 people easily.

It's terribly sweet, but a fun occasional treat.

February 16, 2008 at 4:19 PM  

!!

Sussed - it didn't show up as a spelling error so I reckoned I'd be ok with it!! Yea I think I have it figured out!

Sounds delicious - I'm sure I will get round to trying it soon! I got some pecans at the weekend.

February 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

I bet it would be good with walnuts or almonds, too. I haven't made it for a while.

Maybe I'm just a stupid American :) who should know what "sussed" means :) . See my smiley faces?

Let me know how it turns out!

February 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM  

And how long to you have to run to burn off those calories? My goodness that sound delicious and addictive.

February 18, 2008 at 6:44 AM  

Yummy! Sounds great!

February 20, 2008 at 9:00 AM  

Oh girl, this sounds wonderful! I like the overnight aspect and popping it in the oven the next morning.

February 20, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home