Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Easter Traditions

It's getting to be that time again, so I decided to repost my traditions posts from last year. Check back often as Easter is about a month away and I'm looking for new inspirations for my own family, too, so there should be some new stuff in the mix!

We love bunnies and candy and baby chicks...but we also love to make Easter more than that around our house. For the past few years we've tried hard to incorporate the Gospel into every aspect of our Easter celebration, especially during the season leading up to Easter Sunday. Sure, we have Easter baskets and sometimes a hunt in our yard that day, but we try to emphasize why we celebrate.. So I'll be posting some of our unique celebration ideas in the coming weeks with the hope that you, too, can use these to magnify Christ in your family.

Some of my inspiration has come from Noel Piper's outstanding book Treasuring God in Our Traditions, so I can't take all the credit. If you haven't read this book, I'd encourage you to. She has chapters on celebrating birthdays, Christmas, and Easter and makes the case that our children will remember our family traditions so we must use them to glorify God and point our kids to Him. Though not necessarily an Easter tradition, I will say one of my favorite ideas from her book is to give each child a special hymn that you sing to him or her each night at bedtime. Our oldest one loves There is a Fountain. Our second child requests And Can It Be (just about every night of his entire life he's asked for it!). I've decided our new baby girl, Grace, will hear Grace Greater Than All Our Sin. I don't want the next generation to lose the value of these rich, old songs.

So, check back here periodically to help get your own creative juices flowing as we approach Resurrection day!

*originally posted March 3, 2007

2 comments:

Julie, I am really looking foward to reading your ideas!! I too am looking to turn my family's heart towards Christ and his journey to the cross and out of the grave during this season. I'll probably be posting some of our ideas too. I have a new blog at www.psalm121family.com
How great that you little ones are learning those beautiful hymns! Many are theology lessons in themselves! I love them, and miss singing them more regularly at church.

February 20, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

I'm hoping to read that book soon - It can be read for free on-line. (For information for anybody who didn't know that!!)

February 23, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home