Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


This is my favorite breakfast casserole. It's no-fail! I've been making it since I first got married (back when I didn't know what I was doing-so you know it must be good!).

1 c finely chopped onion
1 c chopped red bell pepper
3 T. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c chicken broth
6 oz. sharp cheddar, grated
1 c sour cream
32 oz southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed (these are small cubed potatoes-I can usually find some that are Ore Ida brand.)
7 eggs, beaten
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Coat a large saucepan with nonstick spray, heat to medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add flour, mustard, and salt. Cook an additional minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until blended. Cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.

Remove from heat. Add cheese and pepper. Add sour cream.

Combine cheese mixture and potatoes, stir well. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray. Pour mixture into pan. Pour beaten eggs on top.

Add crumbled bacon to the top and bake covered at 350 for 35 minutes, then uncovered for 25-35 until cooked through.

8 comments:

Sounds like it's worth all the work!

I'll be making this next time we have a brunch.

February 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

It's not as much work as you might think, esp. if you assemble it the night before! Here are some tips I've found that help speed it along:

as soon as the thought crosses your mind to make this, pull the potatoes out of the freezer

as you're cooking the cheese sauce, have the bacon cooking in the microwave

it actually only uses one large sauce pan and a large bowl to mix the potatoes and cheese sauce, but you could also use a pot to make the cheese sauce so when you add the potatoes you've got a big enough container to mix them through. I like to think of the minimum amount of dishes I have to wash when it's all said and done! :)

Let me know if you like it!

February 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

This has some great ingredients. I can see why it's a no fail recipe! I'm hoping to try it soon...

February 20, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

Hi, I wandered over here and I love your blog! I've been seeing this book in my CBD catalogs and wondering about it...thanks for sharing your impressions (even if you are only 1/3 the way through LOL). I think I'm going to put it on my wish list!

Recipe looks good too!

February 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

cyndy-you're funny! want me to delete your oops post? i published it but i can send into cyber oblivion...

that is a fantastic book. i'm anxious to read it tonight after church. i purposefully try to get my chores done beforehand so all i have to do is put kiddos to bed!

February 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

Nah, you don't have to remove it unless you want to...keeps me humble :)

February 20, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

I made this recipe for our adult sunday class brunch. I don't eat bacon so I passed on trying any but it smelled great, was the first dish to be eaten and got lots of raves.

Kathy b

April 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

Yippee Kathy B! You could definitely try it with sausage or ham or no meat at all and I think it would still be good. I've been making this casserole FOREVER. :)

April 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home