Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

8 More Days of School

And it's like pulling teeth. Even with my new ideas from that The Way They Learn book, it's still a battle. I will be so relieved when the school year is over! I'm hoping to really plan out each day of our school year and do less fly by the seat of our pants. I want flexibility with methods and style and projects, but I'd like to have a list of what we need to accomplish each day and stick to it! I would like to fork over the $400 for a complete Abeka curriculum, but I already have my spelling, history, and language for third grade. I'm just lacking reading, math, and science stuff. We'll do Abeka math for sure, but I can't seem to find a reading program that plans everything out for me (I'm not good at coming up with my own stuff!). Anyone out there have any recommendations? For reading and science?

2 comments:

ABeka is awesome - we use that in our Lutheran school. Check out EBay - you'll save tons. When my son outgrew our Lutheran school and moved to public - ICK - we bought the 6th grade curriculum. The next year I sold the subjects individually to get some of our money back, and their were plenty of stuff out there to choose from. Good luck and happy shopping :)

May 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

Julie, there is a 'group' on yahoo that only sells used Abeka curriculum. I use a lot of BJU stuff and there is a group for that too. It's been really good for us.

I got tired of buying the complete sets and having those hard tests to have to struggle through. I started just buying the text for Science and History. Then we read through it together, discussing things as we go and they learned so much more from it! Then you can do the projects together too. At the end of the reading or chapter, I would ask my own questions in review. It made those subjects so much less stressful! When they were about 6th grade, I got the tests and let them take them open book quite often. In homeschooling it's the learning that counts, not just getting the right answers. They are fun subjects to read aloud too...lots of discussion happens!

Hope the last 8 days go well! We have a bit more than that...maybe a couple of weeks.

May 10, 2007 at 10:28 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home