Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Nursing

No, not that kind, breastfeeding. I've nursed two of my three children and it's been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I got the kind of help I needed with baby number two after baby number one had a lot of trouble "connecting". Then baby number three went relatively well and we're now going into our fourth month, shooting for a solid year. I don't mind being the chuck wagon.

So I was chatting with a lady at church a few weeks ago and she still nurses her 15 month old little girl about once or twice a day. She told me people have made rude comments to her about nursing her child in public, modestly.

This just floored me, because I figured everyone knew by now that breastfeeding is best and if you can do it (and not everyone can for one reason or another), go for it! I was telling hubby about it and he (as usual) was very insightful. He said, "It's because our culture hates motherhood."

And breastfeeding, in some ways, in the epitome of motherhood. It's the one thing that connects a baby to her mother outside the womb, making it difficult for her to separate from her baby.

So while the feminists have assaulted their own in the womb (Has it ever occured to you that they are aborting future feminists? Killing off their own kind?), they continue to do it outside by despising a nursing mother and baby.

3 comments:

What an insightful hubby you have! In a society that revolves around the almighty dollar, motherhood has no "value." We don't get paychecks, therefore feminists think we're a drain on society.
Well, too bad thats the biggest lie of the century, and I'm certainly glad God doesn't see it this way!
I also breast feed my kids, and happen to think it's the best and the hardest job around. So, congratulations on how well you're doing with it!

May 29, 2007 at 11:46 PM  

I think breastfeeding was one of the fulfilling experiences of my life. There is nothing like locking eyes with your child and seeing him smile as he does what babies were made to do. No one I knew even tried breastfeeding. I was the only mother in my church who did it. My parents, who bottle-fed us, thought it was weird. My first son nursed for two years. At the end it was only for going to sleep at night. It's God's design. I was healthier, my baby was healthier. I lost 11 lbs. BEYOND my pre-pregnancy weight. Here's a funny: I knew it was time to wean him when he would pause, close his eyes, and thank God for the "mommy milk" he was about to drink. He is now 13, 5'11", wears size 12 shoes. His daddy is only 5'8" ! We know his stature was in the gene pool somewhere, but the family jokes that he is so tall because of all that good "mommy milk."

My second son nursed for only nine months. It broke my heart that he wanted to get down on the floor and play with his big brother more than snuggle with me. Oh well.

May 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM  

I think your hubby is right on target!

I also love the last sentence in your kiddie cocaine post.

I'll be back to read again

May 31, 2007 at 12:38 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home