Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I was reading the magazine of our state's Christian homeschool organization last night. And I was struck with something: It doesn't matter how involved my husband is, how much of a spiritual leader he is, what curriculum we use, how many Bible verses we memorize, how much we avoid the "evil" public school, how we discipline our kids, it's ultimately up to them if they choose Christ. Until the Holy Spirit frees their will from the bondage of sin, they won't respond to our most earnest efforts to encourage them to trust Christ. That's not to say that our efforts are in vain, but I think we need to have a balanced understanding that God WILL use us in molding and shaping our kids for His glory, but we should never delude ourselves into thinking that homeschooling is a "foolproof" way to keep our kids off drugs, out of bed, and sitting in the pews.

2 comments:

Amen. At some point in their lives, their faith has to be their own - not their parents'. That's a hard pill to swallow for many. I have a friend at church (an older lady) who did all the right things, Sunday School, Youth group, ... yet her adult daughter doesn't attend church. She can't get past the idea that she's a grown up and makes her own decisions, and that my friend isn't at fault for her daughters adulthood. God IS in control, and the Holy Spirit works through His word. As parents, it is our responsibility to make sure our kids are exposed to that word as often as possible so the Holy Spirit has the opportunity to work in our childrens hearts.

May 11, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

Since my kids are so young, I don't always consider this thought. I remember someone telling me once, "remember they (kids) aren't yours, they're only on loan." It seems like another example of stewardship. God entrusts us with these little darlings (for the most part ((smile)), and we just have to do the best we can.

May 12, 2007 at 10:12 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home