Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I've recently bought the Not Just Beans cookbook by Tawra Jean Kellam. I made this recipe the other day and my family licked the pot clean (literally).

Start with making her homemade Bisquick mix (which I halved to see if I liked it first)
9 c. flour
2/3 c. dry milk
3 T. baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 c. butter flavored shortening

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

For the Chicken and Dumplings

4 c. water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2-1 1/2 c. cooked chicken or turkey, chopped
1/2 c carrots, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. parsley flakes

Dumplings:
2 c. baking mix
1/8 tsp thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
2/3 c milk

In large pot, combine water, bouillon, chicken, carrots, bay leaf, parsley, and celery seed. Bring to a boil. In a bowl, combine baking mix and herbs. Add milk and stir until just moistened. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into the boiling broth. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. DON'T peek or your dumplings will be soggy. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and ladle into bowls. Remove bay leaf and spoon broth over dumplings. Serves 4

Watch the pot to make sure you don't let all the broth evaporate while the dumplings cook!

2 comments:

I think I need this cookbook! I cannot get Bisquick in Russia!!!

or I could just copy the recipe, and save a little money!

alidasturn

May 26, 2007 at 11:21 PM  

I'll post some more recipe that use the master baking mix. Yea for saving money!

May 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home