Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

You know I love my garden, and this year is one of experimenting with the square foot gardening concept (see the book by the same name if you want more details). Well, I've also been told that there's a fun way to grow lots and lots of potatoes in your yard in very little space. Here's what you do:

Take an old tire. Fill it with good dirt all the way to the top, then plant your pieces of potato (I ordered Yukon gold potatoes from Gurney's). When the plant begins to grow up through the soil, stack another tire on top of the first tire and fill it with dirt. Continue to do this until you've stacked about 4 or 5 tires on top, always burying the plant in dirt. Then, come around August or so, start digging in the top tire. You should have a bunch of potatoes! Eat those up, then take off the next tire and do the same thing, until you've eaten all your taters and get to the bottom tire.

I've got two tires going...we'll see what happens!

2 comments:

Pictures pleeeeaaaase :)

May 16, 2007 at 5:59 PM  

Well, unti the plants grow up through the dirt it will only be a picture of two old tires in my yard, but I'm going to have hubby post two photos of my square foot gardening box that's full of cool weather crops.
Hopefully, I can talk him into helping me soon, maybe while he watches this Cardinals game..

May 16, 2007 at 11:18 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home