Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

My son, as many of you know, is a very busy person. He's extremely intelligent, but lacks much common sense. For example: I found a hole in the bag of peat moss in the garage and a rubber mallet laying on it. I said, "Did you make this hole? Why did you put a hole in the peat moss?" His answer: "I wanted to see how hard I could hit with the mallet." Ooookay.

So when we do school, especially, I am constantly telling him to stop being silly, to get his spelling page finished, or whatever. It's a lot of getting up and down, wanting to see what his little brother is doing, making nonsense sounds, scribling in his workbook, etc. It's not outright disobedience, it's just a lot of goofiness and, honestly, it irritates me like crazy. I don't know how to handle it. And of course, the incessant picking on his little brother, who then screams (his one defense) and it's enough to make this here only child committed to the funny farm. I need suggestions! I need help! I already try to separate them, but I can't always enforce that, particularly when I'm tending to baby girl. *sigh* I can't wait for school to be done.

3 comments:

OK - first off, boys need things they can bang on and destroy. My son is 16 and still lights up like a Christmas tree when allowed to demolish something. Second, more physical activity. Do something active between each subject...run like mad 5 minutes in the backyard, do some activity songs, march around reciting multiplication tables. They really aren't capable while they're little to sit and focus for long periods. Boys ARE different from girls.

P.S. I DID start out life as a baptist :) Totally Lutheran through and through now!

May 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM  

I'm sitting here laughing, not in a mean way, but because I can really relate! Since the moment my son was born - he's been a, "firecracker." Even while sleeping, he is never still.
Now, I'm not at the home school stage yet, but, I think going outside or some kind of physical activity is a great idea.
I try to take my kids outside every day - even when it's icky out, because it lets them blow off stink.
Oh, and don't worry about him pounding holes in things with the mallet - it sounds totally normal (I think it's just testosterone) You should ask your hubby about when he was a little guy - he'd probably have some similar stories (smile).

May 17, 2007 at 2:17 PM  

My son tends to pester and bang, too. There are so many days that his behavior wears me to a frazzle! Have you read the Faber and Mazlish books (Siblings Without Rivalry, and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk)? I reread them often. In fact, they are on my nightstand so I can get back to them this weekend.

May 17, 2007 at 9:29 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home