Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

My Dog


I was inspired to post about my dog after reading The Upward Call this morning, a very thoughtful blog by this cool Canadian lady (Why has Canada never had a war?? I should ask her sometime...). She posted about her beagle. I thought I'd post about my Shetland Sheepdog (also known as a Sheltie).

This photo isn't my dog, but he looks just like it. And for those of you who actually know me (especially for any length of time) you'll know that there was a significant portion of my life where I despised dogs. Then I got one, about 6 years ago.

And I still despise dogs.

I don't care how cute they look as puppies, and my dog was CUTE, the mess, the time, the stolen hot dogs, the throw up, the dog poop, the walking, the feeding, the barking, the...

You get the idea.

I was not meant for dogs. But I can't bring myself to get rid of him. Even though he ate hubby's ENTIRE birthday Derby Pie (yum) and I wanted to kick him down the stairs and banish him to the garage (I didn't kick him, just felt like it, ok, PETA?), I feel obligated to him until he dies. I've committed to raising him. It's like when I start a book. Even if I don't like it, I feel like I have to finish it.

{A digression: an exception to this habit happened recently when I tried TWICE to watch the movie One Night With the King. Let's just call it Two Nights With the Bad DVD. Baaaad acting. Just give me Veggie Tale's Esther...)

So unless he runs away, we're stuck with him. Stuck with his barking, his food snatching, his messes. It's a good thing he's so darn cute.

1 comments:

That dog looks just like my dog growing up!

Who was much less of a pain in the neck than our current dogs.

Or at least, since I was young, I did not realize how much of a pain in the neck having a dog is...

May 24, 2007 at 6:00 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home