Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Well, I've got three boxes out and filled with dirt, at least the best dirt I could get. Square Foot Gardening guy, Mel Bartholomew says you need either homemade compost (didn't have it) or you have to buy compost from five different industries (because compost is a by-product of a number of industries, such as horses, cows, goats, cotton, etc.) I couldn't locate five different types of compost and I needed 16 cubic feet of it (not cheap) as well as 16 cubic feet each of peat moss and vermiculite (also not cheap). So I went with my friend the goat farmer's old manure (remember, it's now dirt-not poop, as my 7 year old says) in place of the compost and I have started my own compost pile. I have planted two squares of spinach, two of romaine, two of radishes, two of blue flax, one of sugar snap peas, and one of regular peas (everyone else likes peas in my family but me). I've cut tarps to cover my boxes because the weather here is notoriously unpredictable and the rumor has it that we might have snow this week! It was 90 degrees on Sunday. Anyway, as things start to sprout I'll post a photo of it for fun. And, Joann, that beautiful gardening photo is not mine, unfortunately, but it's what I'm aspiring to!

2 comments:

Tasty - I'm with you on the peas - ICK - try black-eyed peas (much better in my opinion) Can't wait to see the pictures.

May 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM  

OK, good luck on this! Can't wait to see the good stuff growing.

May 3, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home